The view of life from a 10-year old's perspective; my description of what happens around me
Tuesday, September 6, 2011
This entry is all about Facebook. In my opinion Facebook is for people who don't actually bother to go out and see their friends. I understand the good sides of Facebook. It helps faraway family and friends get in touch. I don't understand how some people can live on Facebook, telling their every movement and activity. Why would you want everyone to know that you drank three cups of coffee this morning? My definition of social is going out and seeing real people and having fun with them. I don't need 672 friends to be social. What you put on Facebook can never be erased and future friends and coworkers can see it. I know that's true for blogs too. But, I wouldn't be embarrassed to have someone see this. No offense to those who use Facebook. My Mom says I might want to use it someday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Those are interesting ideas, Cassie, and other people feel the same way that you do.
ReplyDeleteI guess that there probably are people who use it in place of going out, but most of what I see on there is that people use it to stay in touch with those who they've met in person.
My experience with Facebook has been pretty positive. For work, I've been quoted in various articles by reporters and friends who I've met using social media. I've had new contracts come out of it.
Personally, I do, as you mentioned above, stay in touch with my family and friends - having moved 13 hours away means lots of people who I can't see very often. During the last Presidential campaign, I met several people who had different ideas than I did at online events: we have continued to stay in touch and share our thoughts back and forth despite the fact that we live in different parts of the country. I have been privy to crisis and joys of friends far and wide, often being able to lend an ear through the behind-the-scenes messaging of Facebook.
Anyhow,my point is that there is more to it than sharing your three cups of coffee. Sometimes, three cups of coffee is what your life is and that's cool. Knowing that the people you meet are "real people" is what comes through in those posts.
In getting to know those "real people" through their casual, everyday, mundane posts, you get comfortable with them and can grow that relationship into something more down the road.
Anyhow, like your Mom said, one day, you may want to try it. If not, that's OK too - it's not for everyone. But, give it a chance before you decide.